Saturday, April 20, 2013

My Love Affair with Books




Frequently I hear people bragging that they haven’t read a book since they left school. I understand that sentiment. They read way too many books that didn’t add one iota to their “real” life. It was all pain and no gain. But for me, books are a source of lifelong learning and pleasure that other media doesn’t seem to satisfy. I love books. I have hundreds of them. I will probably have hundreds more before Jesus calls me home.

When it comes to the issue of relationships, there is a lot of value in reading.

Now, I know that there are other sources of learning besides books – I’m not hard core. But I still think we are more likely to refer back to something tangible if we own it. I lose files on my computer when I change computers, or I misfile it, or forget that I had it in the first place. Kindle works pretty good – and I know that’s where things are headed. But I guess that I still like the way a book feels, and smells and tastes. And book dust jackets draw you in. OK – I was a lot younger when I chewed on books. 

There are many spiritual books that have been life giving to me over the years – I’m not going to list them here. And little has given me as great a pleasure as a good fiction book to help me detach from life when it becomes stressful. I'm starting a new one by my good friend D. J. Williams entitled "The Disillusioned". Look for it in May 2013. (shameless plug)

Here are some great relationship books.

  • Love and Respect – Dr. Emerson Eggerrichs
  •  Why Marriages Succeed or Fail, (or) The Seven Principles For Making Marriage Work – Dr. John Gottman
  •  Saving Your Marriage Before It Starts – Drs. Les & Leslie Parrott
  •  The Meaning of Marriage – Dr. Tim Keller 
  • Getting Your Sex Life Off To A Great Start – Dr. Cliff & Joyce Penner 
  • 5 Days To A New Marriage – Drs. Terry Hargrave & Shawn Stoever 
  • The Five Love Languages – Dr. Gary Chapman 
  • Boundaries In Marriage, (or) Boundaries In Dating, (or) Hiding From Love –  Drs. Cloud & Townsend 
I am guessing that if you are a reader, you can add many more books to this list. As a matter of fact I welcome any suggestions that have impacted your marriage, dating or relationships. Use the comment box below to share your favorites.

No comments:

Post a Comment